Wednesday, October 21, 2009

BRIDGES

035 – JULY 2006

BRIDGES

2 Cor 5:18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation:

When I first committed my life to Christ, I was shown a very helpful illustration to the Gospel – The drawing displayed me and God, disconnected and on opposite sides of a colossal chasm … but with a bridge added to allow crossing. The bridge is Christ who paid the price for this separation and offers a bridge so that we might not only gain entrance to God but also have relationship with Him. God made it easy for us to return. With all of our mess, He did this for us. We surely can do the same for others, whose mess is much smaller.

Rom 14:19 Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another.

After 15 years of using a particular professional printing lab, our studios chose to send our printing orders to a different company. I always had a great relationship with the original lab and the owner was obviously disappointed. I tried to keep a connection and maintain communication, but he chose to be become very resentful and ultimately dug a ditch between us. He created a gorge … with no bridge for return.
A similar situation arose, in which we decided to use an East Coast framing supplier. We cut back our orders to a Los Angeles based frame company which we have been doing business with for over 20 years. The owner was disappointed but said “I understand! You have been a great customer and I am aware that things change. If there is anything that we can do for you, please let us know. And, lets’ not have this end our personal relationship. I wish you well.”
This man chose to build a bridge. In the possibility that I might want to return, he left a way back. He has made it easy to return to business and to relationship.

1 Cor 13:5 Love is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs

Sometimes our emotions cause us to act in ways that damage relationships. Resentment and unforgiveness challenge our behavior. If we give into the flesh, our actions can even become mean spirited and damaging. Think about it - What begins as a small breach that can be easily bridged turns to an abyss with virtually no possibility for return.

“Don’t burn your bridges!” - Good advice!
Remember the good times. Remember the love and the laughter that you shared. Things happen, but you can always be thankful for the ‘season’ and be mindful that you may one day want to return.
If there is a past relationship that has been damaged or detached – be as Christ. Build a new bridge! Clean up the debris of the burned bridge and build a new one. Call somebody. Say something like “I just wanted to let you know that I miss you.” Or “I just wanted to thank you for all the good times that we had” or “ You are a great person. I understand that things change. If there is anything that I can do for you, please let me know. I wish you well!”

Eph 4:32 Be kind & compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.