Wednesday, October 21, 2009

WHO CARES


067 –MARCH 2009

Who Cares?

James 2:16 If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?

Just last week, Pat and I were eating out and this fellow walked up to our table. His eyes lit up and we greeted each other in an excitable manner. Pat asked who it was and I explained that, “20 years ago, on my way to work, I spotted him next to his stalled car and I turned back to help him. I know him as Dan. It was the only time we have ever had an exchange of time but, whenever we cross paths, we picture the 2 of us with our heads under his hood … trying to get him to work on time.

I often wish that I had more stories to share. I wish that there were a thousand people like Dan. I wish that my life was less busy. I wish that I wasn’t so easily inconvenienced. Sometimes it is too easy to neglect someone in need.

Luke 10:30 “And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,”
Read the rest of this story.

Everyone in Pat’s family always wondered why her Dad would always go out of his way to pick up a few groceries at Dente’s Market. I will never forget that moment when he opened his wallet to show us something that no one had ever seen before. The mystery was being revealed as he carefully unfolded this old and tattered invoice that was ripping at the folds. He explained
“We moved to Barre and I started a car dealership. It took a while for things to get started and at one point we were seriously broke. With 3 small children needing to eat, I dragged myself to this small market and asked Mr. Dente if he would trust me for a few groceries. He did not know me but he showed compassion and trusted me for the purchase. I paid the bill in a few weeks and I carry this IOU invoice in my wallet as a reminder of his great kindness.”
Our throats lumped up as we gazed at the yellowed piece of paper. The bill totaled around $13. It was in his wallet for over 50 years.

The enclosed photo (with permission) is a copy of a painting by Mauricio Palacio. (A beautiful 27 X 20 poster is available at http://www.lastdaysministries.org/. under “Art.”) It is an artistic interpretation of a Godly vision written by General William Booth, the founder of the Salvation Army. I won’t add explanation to it. Just study it for a moment and then … ‘Think About It’.