Wednesday, October 21, 2009

DELIGHT IN THE LORD

057 – MAY 2008

DELIGHT IN THE LORD

I went golfing the other day. It was a last minute decision so I was alone and I played a quick 9. I cleared the ravine on the 6th hole and, as I walked to the ball, I spied a lost golf ball in the ravine. It was about 50 feet away and I did not really want to brave the bushes and the wet grounds. Also, I have hundreds of golf balls (from being in the woods so often.) But, upon some quirky adventurous impulse, I headed for the little white ball … worth a buck!

Ephesians 5:19 “Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.

I picked up the ball and noticed that it was a TopFlite (my favorite). I thought that was quite cool and voiced a heavenly “Thank you”. I looked to the left and there was another ball … a TopFlite! As I straightened up, I noticed another. And then another And another! The first 5 were all TopFlites. Together, God and I delighted in this crazy fun and I walked out of the ravine with 10 golf balls - 7 TopFlites, a Nike, a Molitor, and a Pinnacle. It was exciting! It was crazy! And, it was fun to have someone to share it with!

Psalm 37:4a “Delight yourself in the Lord …

Some folks believe that God orchestrates every area of our life. My humble theological opinion is that He has combined His written word with a lot of living-liberty. God doesn’t have a spoken word of direction for every move that we make. (Although, on the other hand, I think He desires to speak to us more than we are in a position to hear.)
So - this little golf adventure was probably not arranged by God. It certainly was not a miracle and the 10 golf balls were not a desire of my heart. We simply experienced a light hearted time of friendship. It was easy and natural to sense His presence. In the scope of great matters, this 5 minute period was insignificant, yet I truly delighted in it. We enjoyed each other in a bond of companionship. I even giggled out loud a few times.

Psalm 37:4b “ … and he will give you the desires of your heart.”

The true desires of my heart lie in the areas of faith, family, friends, and health.
So, the golf ball hunt was a “delight in the Lord” thing. The treasure was certainly not the golf balls but rather the pleasant fellowship with God.

In the midst of all of the world’s great issues of life, God wants to have a relationship with us. Determine to invite God into every area of your life. Resolve to experience His presence in all things. Delight in His friendship.
And, the promise is that He will give you the desires of your heart.