Wednesday, October 21, 2009

CONTENTMENT... AND A PARABLE OF SUCESS

051 – NOVEMBER 2007


Contentment … and A Parable of Success

Proverbs 15:16 “ Better is little with the fear of the Lord than great treasure and trouble therewith.”
1 Timothy 6:6 “But godliness with contentment is great gain.”
Philippians 4:11 “Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.”

The following is a modern day parable. It causes me to think about a lot of things. I really like it and I hope that you do too.

The Mexican Fisherman by Unknown Author
An American businessman was at a pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of fish and asked why he didn't stay out longer and catch more fish. The fisherman said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs. Then the American asked what he did with the rest of his time?
The fisherman responded, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, and stroll to the village each evening – where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos.”
The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and I can help you. You have a very special talent for fishing. You should spend more time fishing. With the proceeds, you could buy bigger boats and hire more employees. You could eventually have a fleet of boats, open your own cannery, cut out the middleman, and control all product and distribution. You might have to leave your fishing village and live in LA or New York to run your enterprise. But in 20 years - you would announce an IPO, sell your company stock to the public, and make millions!”
The Mexican fisherman responded, "Millions, Senor? Then what?"
The American said, "Why, you could retire! You could move to a small coastal village where you could sleep late, fish a little, play with your children, take a siesta with your wife, and stroll to the village each evening – where you would sip wine and play guitar with your amigos.”

Think about it!