Wednesday, October 21, 2009

PURE HEARTS

069 – MAY 2009

PURE HEARTS

Have you ever encountered someone whose conversation is a bit scheming?
Maybe you know someone who seems obsessed with underlying motives and plotting words … cleverly working towards some type of control? Do you ever find yourself wandering into these clever areas of communication?

Pure Hearts (Chris’ def.) “Persons who think and speak with honesty… and without guile or false motive.”
Other words that are closely allied to this thought are: genuine, simple, sincere, real, truthful, etc. You know people like that. They are truly unaware that they are a pure heart. “Isn’t everyone?”

1 Peter 3:10 “Wherefore, lay aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speaking.”

Whenever I think of a “pure heart”. I think of my friend - Bob Jenks, whom I have known for over 30 years. Bob has a non controlling spirit and you don’t have to guess if there might be concealed motives to what he says. I’m not talking about someone who is clever or someone who is “sicky-sweet”, but someone who is honest in heart. Bob’s thoughts is clean are not clouded or contaminated with ulterior purpose or bad thoughts.
Not that Bob doesn’t spit, cuss, or chew – but his communication and conversation is quite pure hearted and, therefore, he speaks from the abundance of that virtue.

Matthew 12:34 “ … For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.”

In addition, he likes everyone and never shows contempt towards another.
I have never heard him say a bad word towards someone. That’s impressive! That’s a pure heart! I wish I was always pure in heart. I want to be that. I want to have my thoughts and my words be spotless before man and before God.

2 Corinthians 5:17 ”Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.”

So, although I occasionally fall short, I know that I’ve been renewed. I know that I can gain victory through the life changing power of Christ who is working in me for that very pure heart that I desire.