Wednesday, October 21, 2009

HARSH WORDS

059 – JULY 2008

HARSH WORDS

Psalm 64:3 They sharpen their tongues like swords and aim their words like deadly arrows.

I do not like to hear the words “stupid”, “idiot”, or “moron” (many times preceded by the words - “Shut up, you …”) Most strong attack words are usually assigned to name calling and I am just not a fan of harsh words.
I especially don’t like to hear these words come from the mouths of parents. Husbands and wives need to eliminate it also. Ditto, friends. Ditto, enemies. Leave this strong vocabulary to those it was designed for – the politicians. J
Remember growing up? Remember the neighborhood? Remember the little ditty
that you sneered back to the kids who called you a bad name (and maybe hurled some swear words)? “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.” C’mon - it’s a lie. It’s a cover up that serves only as a quick and witty rebut to make the conflict go away. And as children walk away, they are hurt on the inside.
As I have grown older, I still hear adults using the “big 3”. Also, in their maturity(?), they have added to their name calling arsenal. You can hear more sophisticated hallmarks, such as “bigot”, “self-righteous”, “hypocrite”, and some perfectly timed adult-allowable obscenities. And, as adults walk away, they are hurt on the inside.

Col 4:6 “Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.”

So, let’s grow up! If you feel a harsh word scooting from your heart to your mouth – cover your mouth. If it’s too late and the bomb already fell from your lips – yield a quick and sincere apology.

Proverbs 16:24 “Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.”

This is just my interpretation of this matter. You can do whatever you want. And, I’ll concede that timely name calling can surely satisfy the flesh, but, think about it – we really do have a much higher calling. You can drop all harsh words and replace them with words of compliment and praise. Load your tongue gun with positive words that promote blessings, healing, and celebration.


Lord, lift me up and let me stand, By faith, on Heaven’s table land,
A higher plane than I have found; Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”
Johnson Oatman / Charles Gabriel