Wednesday, October 21, 2009

TREASURES IN HEAVEN

049 – SEPTEMBER 2007

TREASURES IN HEAVEN

Proverbs 13:7 “There is one who makes himself rich, yet has nothing; And one who makes himself poor, yet has great riches.
I happened upon a bunch of trophies and ribbons from the back of our portrait studio. They represent many years of photographic awards and I had intensions to rescue and repair them from years of tarnishing, rusting, molding, and breaking tops ... but I gave up quickly as I realized that they had declined beyond repair. I’m not quite sure what to do with them.
Don’t get me wrong – Pat and I are very honored to have received these awards. We, in fact, still enter photographs in the different State, Regional, and National Print Competitions. These awards bring back some great memories, but think about it - when I depart from this world, who will want them? Answer: Nobody! And, in the scope of life’s important matters, of what great value are they?

1 Timothy 6:7 “For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.”

My attention to the depreciation in value of theses pieces of wood and metal stimulated some thinking.
Life! What’s it all about? All of the sudden, a little sperm works it’s way to some little egg and Boop! … it started! From nothin’ … to me! That’s noteworthy !
So, why do I age? I dunno! Good question!
And, what happens after death? Big question! As for me, I am convinced of eternity! I am sure that I will slip into the arms of Jesus … forever!
And then what? I dunno! But it’ll be real good! And I do know that 80-90 years on this planet is a particular part of my eternal life that has unique relevance and purpose, yet … a mere droplet in the ocean of time eternal.

Matthew 6:19-21 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
So, think about it - we might want to focus on eternal things. We might want to focus a bit on the kingdom of God, on love, on peace, on faith, and on affecting others in a great way. After all, everything material will rust, corrode or decay. Except, maybe, for plastic? Just kidding! I know that God thought of that. After all, it does melt! J