Wednesday, October 21, 2009

NUMBERS

031 – MARCH 2006

Numbers

I have always enjoyed math and “numbers”!
This morning, I was in line for my Dunkin’ Donuts coffee for 12 minutes. I started to consider the hours that I spend “line waiting … Dunkin’ Donuts, Grocery Stores, Motor Vehicle Department, Movies, Post Office, Ballgames & Concerts, Banks, Restaurants, Airlines, Theme Parks, etc. I estimated that, by age 90, I will have stood for almost 2 years of my non sleeping life.
(So, make the best of it. Bloom where you are planted and spread a little joy while you stand in these lines. Strike up some conversation and stir up a bit of mischief.)
By the way - 2.3 coffees per day, at $1.50 each, for 60 years adds up to over 50,000 cups and over $76,000.00 !!!

On a ‘Big Number’ level, let’s consider this one: The National debt is over a trillion dollars. How much is that? How much is a trillion dollars?
Assume that someone goes to work each day and all that they do for 40 hours per week is count out a $100 bill … every second. Every week - 40 hours per week - a $100 bill - every second. At that rate, how long would it take to count out a trillion dollars worth of $100 bills?

As large as a trillion dollars might be, it is paltry to God’s infinite creation.
Psalm 8:3 “When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
Consider the number of sands of the earth. Albeit finite, it would be a mind blowing number that we simply cannot count. Considering ‘the deserts, in the oceans and around the oceans’, the thought of it will give you a headache. It is immeasurable by man and only God knows the number.

In spite of all these big numbers and infinite wonders, it is unmistakable that He cares for me. I am special. I am ‘the apple of His eye’ -
I have already slept & awakened 20,914 times. And, considering that my heart beats about 86,000 times each day - To date, my heart has beat 1,810,166,000 times (One billion, eight hundred ten million, one hundred sixty six thousand times) … and counting.
Isaiah 41:10 “Fear not, for I am with you. Be not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; yea, I will help you; yea, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness.

Last “‘numbers” thought … a special for the Pastors - There are 168 hours in a week and church usually lasts about 1.5 hours. That’s less than 1% of your time to devote to hanging out in a pretty good place and with a bunch of folks seeking to make contact with God. 1% of your time !!! So, think about it – That makes most non attending excuses rather slack and wobbly.





* 40 hours per week … 52 weeks per year … no vacation … a $100 bill … every second. At that rate, how long would it take to count out a trillion dollars worth of $100 bills?
Answer: Over 190 years !!!!!!!!