Wednesday, October 21, 2009

REALLY STINKING


036 – AUGUST 2006

REALLY STINKING

My favorite motivational speaker is Charlie “Tremendous” Jones.
Jones is a great encourager and much of his speaking helps people to be confident and positive about themselves. Moreover, his trademark line is “You are tremendous!”
Romans 8:37 “ … we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.Ephesians 3:12 “In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the
faith of him.”
2 Corinthians 2:15 “For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ …”

He also, however, has the incite to know that we possess a great knack to become prideful or judgmental and he will always reconcile his encouragement with a caution about admiring yourself too greatly. He reminds you how much nicer life would be if you will simply accept your great talent for err and blunder. Jones often communicates about how life can be pretty miserable if you are not able to laugh at yourself and his gunfire of wisdom laced with wonderful humor continues to help folks to understand just how funny they really are.
When you become upset with someone’s shortcomings, when you become vexed or annoyed by someone’s failures – remind yourself that you are far from perfect and capable of making the same (or greater) mistakes.
I will always remember one of Jones’ great lines in respect to this important advice,
“I know that I stink! But I’d rather stink, thinking I stink, than to think I don’t … and really stink.”

This thought was on my mind when I was challenged by the Society of XXV (an international photography group that I belong to) to create a self portrait.
The enclosed self portrait is how I often see myself. Whenever I begin to get a bit too serious about “me”, whenever I begin to turn inward, or whenever I begin to become self absorbed … whenever I get in a dither over a molehill, or whenever I get to admiring myself too greatly, I can quickly adjust my thinking to see how silly it all is and how funny I really am.

Romans 12:3 “For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think;

Would you like to be set free from judgmental remarks or self centered inclinations? Concede your inventory of flaws and defects and then start to laugh at yourself … because you are very funny. Indeed!
With a big, but lighthearted, laugh on your face – Speak something like :
“I know that I stink! But I’d rather stink, knowing that I stink, than to think I
don’t and really stink!” That’s so good! Think about it!